Purpose and Scope of Responsibility
- The Compensation Committee is a committee with goals of establishing criteria for evaluating the Executive Director and setting goals for expectations by the Board of Directors. In addition, the Committee would utilize resources for establishing a fair and competitive compensation package.
Committee Organization and Reporting Structure:
- The Compensation Committee reports to the Board of Directors.
- The Executive Director will regularly monitor and ensure that the Compensation Committee achieves its goals and objectives.
- The Compensation Committee will make recommendations to the AWBD Board of Directors for its review and action as it deems appropriate.
- The Compensation Committee is led by a Chair or Co-Chairs as appointed by the President of the Board.
- The Compensation Committee will include 3-5 members of the Board.
- The Compensation Committee will provide written reports about its meetings, attendance, and recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Membership of the Compensation Committee is reviewed by the President of the Board. The Committee Chair, Committee Members and the Executive Director will work together to determine committee needs and will brainstorm new and potential committee members.
Committee Member Responsibilities:
- Review all information presented by the Committee Chair, provide input and potential research to contribute to the process of the Committee.
- With support from staff, annually submit objectives and a work plan for the committee as part of the planning and budgeting process.
- With support from staff, annually evaluate its work as a committee and the objectives it has committed itself to and report on same to the Board of Directors.
- The Committee Chair will report to the Board of Directors at its regular meetings and facilitate discussion on committee action items on behalf of the committee.
- Annually, the Compensation Committee will review the committee charter, committee work plan and committee membership. Any members who have not attended regular meetings or documented activities to promote the committee’s objectives for a period of 6 consecutive months will be removed from the membership list.
Goals and Objectives of the Compensation Committee
- The committee’s goals and objectives will comprise the committee’s work plan, which will be approved by the full Board of Directors.
- Goal 1. Establish an evaluation tool for the Board of Directors to measure the performance of the Executive Director of the AWBD and provide feedback of performance.
- Goal 2. Determine a fair compensation package for an Executive Director
- Goal 3. To determine a set of guidelines for a fair and equitable salary range based on experience, education, and more.
- Goal 4. Incorporate this information into permanent policy and/or the bylaws that define the role of the Board of Directors and the relationship with the ED.
- The committee will meet at least 2 times each year either in person or via conference call.
- Committee members should anticipate giving an average of 2-3 hours per month to complete the activities.
- Serves in an advisory role to guide the committee
- Expresses ideas and provides input
- Actively participates in meetings, contributing to the discussion, brainstorming and sharing innovative ideas
- Reviews material and provides input for improvement
- Participate in the development and implementation of the committee work plan
- Provide leadership for the committee
- Facilitate communication and discussion during the meetings
- Serve as spokesperson for the committee
- Facilitate the meeting according the agenda
- Create the agenda and minutes in partnership with staff support
- Bring action items and recommendations from the Committee to the Board when necessary. Present and facilitate this discussion at the Board of Directors meetings.
- Work for the committee behind the scenes
- Provide research as needed for the committee
- Send out meeting reminders and agendas
- Stay in regular communication with the Committee Chair
- Attend and participate in the monthly committee meetings
- Provide guidance and oversight to the Committee.